Family Law /Civil Law
Job Title: Family/Civil Staff Attorney (Licensed in Texas in good standing)
Department: Caritas Legal Services FLSA Status: Exempt (FT)
The Civil Law Attorney is responsible for managing the Civil Department while providing legal services to potential clients in Family and other civil matters. The Staff Attorney will be responsible for legal staff caseload and complying with agency and grants measurable. Staff Attorney will assist in outreach and in legal clinics.
Essential Job Function:
Will provide legal consultation and representation in the areas of family law and other civil law matters.
- Will assess and determine if Caritas Legal Service is able to provide representation.
- Attend all hearings and court proceedings with clients.
- Participate in Caritas Legal Services sponsored functions or fundraising events.
- Maintain client contact
- Prepare necessary pleadings, discovery and legal documents.
- Appear in court and represent clients for any relevant hearings, motions or trials.
- Complete demographics/client count.
- Adhere to agency policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge and experience in the areas of family law and other civil law matters.
- Computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to establish priorities and work independently and be a self-motivator.
- Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality and professionalism.
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred.
Ability to work under pressure and meet organizational deadlines.
- Ability to travel within the Archdiocese when necessary for outreach and client representation.
- Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. with occasional outreach events on the weekend.
- Mostly sedentary with light walking 50% of the time
- Must be able to bend, stoop, light lifting
- Must have personal, reliable transportation, clean driving record and current vehicle liability insurance
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 10-15 lbs.
Credentials and Experience:
Texas licensed attorney in good standing with the Bar
- Pass criminal background check
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
In performing the duties to this position, the employee must be able to have sufficient bodily mobility to accomplish essential functions of job. Requires bending, stooping, stretching, and some lifting. Must have fine motor skills to perform typing and writing of reports, etc. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The Staff Attorney agrees to read, comply with and sign the employee handbook and all policies and procedures within.